THE KENTISH CAT SOCIETY      


President - Mrs Joyce Green

Home
Committee
AGM
Social Events

History
Membership & renewals
Rules
Welfare

LinksShows

The Kentish Cat Society was founded in 1931 by Miss Winifred Peake and Miss Eleanor Ridley who lived in Smarden.  Breeders and exhibitors of Persian cats their prefix 'Speedwell' was well known on the show bench and they established the Society primarily to bring together cat lovers in the County of Kent for an Annual Show.

The first Show was held in the summer of 1932 and it is believed to have taken place in the garden of "Dawkins" which was the home of these two ladies.  The Show then progressed to larger venues and in 1938 it was held in the Pump Room in Tunbridge Wells where it attracted many successful breeders thus fulfilling the objects of the Society "to give novices the opportunity of seeing type and quality attainable in various breeds and to stimulate the desire for pure-bred stock".  It was also recognised that among cat lovers there were many owners of non-pedigree household pets and these were encouraged to compete in their own classes.

The Club returned to Tunbridge Wells in 1952 for the first post-war Show and then moved around the County to venues in Orpington, Sidcup, Canterbury and Maidstone before going to the Corn Exchange in Rochester.  The members were quite happy for their Annual Summer Show to remain at Exemption status until the late 1960's when, under pressure from exhibitors, the club sought advancement.  The first All Breed Championship Show was held in 1971 with Hilda and Arthur Philpot as Show Managers.  Shows were now becoming more popular which necessitated a move in 1974 to the larger Agricultural Hall in the Cattle Market in Maidstone.  In 1977 the Show date was changed to October and used the Stour Centre in Ashford until 2006 when it returned to Maidstone.  After acting as Assistants Joyce and Jim Green took over the reins of Show Management with the 1979 show and performed this function on and off until their retirement after the 2000 Show.

As well as being Show Manager Hilda Philpot was Secretary of the Society for many years later becoming President.  Promoting the well-being of cats has always been a prime factor in the Kentish from its early beginnings and the work is still carried on with the help of generous members through the Emergency Aid Fund.

Although no longer a Summer Show the Society still holds a Garden Party each year as a reminder of its origins.  In addition the Committee also hosts a Hot Fork Supper in the Spring and a Tea for members and their friends following the Annual General Meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14.02.16                                                                                    contact us                                                                         © Kentish Cat Society 2005-16